Transliteration is an interesting technology that helps people compose documents, emails or even chat in languages other than English, using the English (Roman) keyboard. Google provides an online tool to achieve this easily, but Google also released a free transliteration utility for Windows that can work offline as well.
It is called Google IME, you may install this tool on any XP/Vista or Windows 7 computer to write text in most Indian languages including Hindi, Tamil, Bengali, Farsi (Persian), Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Telugu and Urdu. This tool also works with Amharic, Arabic, Greek, Hebrew, Oriya, Russian, Serbian, Sinhalese and Tigrinya.
- Offline support: No dependency on internet connection.
- Word completions: Dictionary based word completions for prefixes.
- Personalized choices: Remember user corrections along with macro and canonical support.
- Easy keyboard: Dictionary enabled keyboard to enter rare and complex words.
- Quick search: Single click web search for highlighted word.
- Cool customization: Customize suggestions page size, display font and more.